Cape Breton Highlands - Hiking the Skyline Trail

     Of all the places we have been on this trip, the Cape Breton Highlands felt the most foreign, like a different country altogether. I imagine it's like Scotland, I could almost hear the bagpipes playing.

    I'm embarrassed to say all this time I thought the Cabot Trail was a long hiking trail, like the Appalachian trail. I was becoming more surprised by this as we got closer because I have seen no joggers and few signs of locals exercising. The portions are huge and the food is loaded with fat and sugar. It's very different than the West Coast, where they are obsessed with health.

    I was wondering who, exactly, was hiking the Cabot Trail. Turns out it’s a road! You sit in your car and drive along it. It has some lookouts with signs, if you can heave yourself out of your car to read then, should you have the energy and a place to put your lobster roll.

You can see the Cabot Trail in the hill in the background


  We drove the twisting Cabot Trail to the “Skyline Trail” trailhead. It is so popular you need a reservation to hike it, so I guess someone is hiking. It was a well marked trail through the trees to a lookout. There were warnings about Moose and what to do if you see one. Just when I was thankful there were no bears! There is always some animal to be wary of in Canada.

  At the lookout we spotted some whales. It was a tiny black mark in the distance.

  This trail was really easy, I kept expecting it to start going up, as I'm  used to hiking in the mountains. We did the circle even though we heard that after the boardwalk lookout there is nothing really to see. Turns out that is correct.






Birds ‘n Mammals

Evening Grosbeak - unhappily missed by Elsa

Purple Finch - only heard, but I've been hearing them everywhere so I counted it, lifer!

Possible Pilot whale


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alberta Out-bound

Grand Beach - A Beach and many creatures

Regina - A Queen with a Lake, Cupcakes and Owls