Halifax Harbour
The “best” Donair was tasty but didn’t have any vegetables in it. They may have had the “best donair” but they also had the “smelliest washroom”. The donair proprietor gave Charlie a free donair, he was happy.
At the waterfront there was an Acadian festival, with dancers and music (you were right Michelle, we met them again!). They did the type of dancing where you don’t move your arms. I thought of my friend Joni who says she doesn’t know what to do with her arms when she dances. How about just hold them limply at your sides? As I watched their feet I realized they weren’t just stepping but rather doing fancy taps and complicated stepping rhythms. It is probably enough of a job just to work the feet.
After walking the boardwalk we went to the Canadian Museum of Immigration, this is a lot of reading, there is text everywhere. My Dad came to Canada on a boat from England in his twenties. They had a little area set up with a typical boat and I thought of him, alone but with a heart full of adventure. At the cafe a lady gave Elsa and I a bag of chips. I’m not sure why we keep getting free food, I know for a fact, we don’t look hungry with all the lobster rolls and Donairs.
It started to rain as we walked the waterfront, Charlie wanted to buy a yellow raincoat, I tried to talk him out of it.
For dinner we went to “Salt and Ash” which was overall very good. Charlie had Donair pizza. Now in the van fridge we have Donair poutine, donair pizza and a donair. The other staple here is Lobster Roll which is a rich mix of lobster and butter in a piece of bread. We keep eating them. On PEI we went to two places that had the “best lobster roll”. Josh researches them and then we have to go try. It’s all very heavy and rich, with large helpings that, even sharing with Elsa, I can’t keep eating!

Comments
Post a Comment