Lunenberg and Hubbards - Nova Scotia

    When we were at one of the many Lobster Roll restaurants we visited I mentioned the Bluenose ship to Charlie. "Mentioned" is too quiet a word. 

This place was very loud so I was yelling - "I hope the Bluenose ship is there!". 

He said "What?!"

Me - "The Bluenose ship!"

Charlie - "What?!"

Me - "BLUENOSE!"

Charlie - "What?!"

At this point I broke down laughing because he doesn't know what the Bluenose is so I'm basically yelling nonsensical words at him. This took place at FIN Folk Food in PEI - which, incidentally, was the best Lobster Roll of the whole trip! Good food but not a place for a long conversation.

The word "What" is probably the most spoken word on our trip. Our van is very loud inside. Once you get up to speed the clattering and shuddering is almost deafening. We are always yelling "What?" and "What's that?". 

When we finally made it to Lunenberg the Bluenose II was not there. This is not unusual and I think I've heard that you are lucky to see her. I've never been interested in sail boats in my life, but this is travelling for you. When you go someplace with an expectation (like to see a big sail boat) and then it doesn't happen you are disappointed. We saw another large sail boat and made do with that.



    It was a hot day, but by the time we made it back to the AirBnB in Hubbards it had started to rain. We had missed our opportunity for beach time! The next day the weather was nice so we spent almost the whole day at the beach. In the morning we went to the Hubbards Farmer's Market which was very busy, Josh had to do a 20 point turn to get out of the parking lot. We had a lovely visit with my cousin Tim Reid (Hi Tim!).

More pub fare at "The Knot" in Lunenberg
Obligatory chips on the beach

A walk behind our AirBnB

The view from our AirBnB. You can see the beach, it is where the umbrella is.



Birds 'n Mammals
Grey Catbird - this bird makes a meowing sound sometimes. It was a lifer for Elsa! It combined her love of cats with birds so was a good find.
American Black Duck - this duck looks like a female Mallard. Basically with every duck that is in Nova Scotia that looks like this - you aren't sure which it is. It is disorienting to be 100% sure about Mallards to not knowing.




Comments

  1. Grey catbird! I have never heard of one, will look it up. Exciting for Elsa! I am so enjoying your writings !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Alberta Out-bound

Grand Beach - A Beach and many creatures

Regina - A Queen with a Lake, Cupcakes and Owls